Call for Papers
Date: Thursday 22 – Friday 23 June 2017
Venue: Caulfield Campus, Monash University, Melbourne
Keynote Speakers: TBC
Deadline for submissions: Friday 3 February 2017
Following the success of the inaugural 2015 conference, New Directions returns in 2017 to offer a forum for new researchers to showcase their work before their peers and develop professional links across campuses around the country and beyond. The conference will also feature keynote presentations from established academics and screen practitioners.
We invite papers from postgraduate students and early career researchers whose work engages in historical, textual and critical approaches to film and television, and related video and new screen technologies. Topics of interest and approaches may include, but are not limited to:
- Celebrity studies
- Digital humanities
- Transnational frameworks in screen studies
- Sites of spectatorship (film festivals/non-traditional spaces/site-specific screen practices)
- Gender and gender identity
- Contemporary understandings of film style, genre and/or narrative
- Intermediality and cross-platform storytelling
- Migration and film/screen
- The animal turn/nonhuman turn and posthumanism
Presentations should be 20 minutes in length. Proposals for panels of three presenters are also welcome. A selection of presenters will be invited to develop their papers for publication as part of an edited collection.
Proposals of no more than 300 words, clearly stating the paper’s title and the author’s name/affiliation, should be sent as a Word document attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Friday 3 February 2017.
The Conference Organising Committee
Felicity Chaplin and Belinda Glynn